The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources released an update on the Mille Lacs fishing issues on Oct. 19.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources released an update on the Mille Lacs fishing issues on Oct. 19.
A prepared statement by the DNR said at an Oct. 15 meeting, DNR and tribal biologists agreed to set the winter harvest cap for state anglers at 5,000 pounds or less. The total walleye harvest last winter was 3,100 pounds. The DNR and the Chippewa bands were able to reach this decision because September fish assessment data show that pounds of spawning-age walleye and numbers of walleye from the 2013 year class were above established benchmarks.
The final decision of whether to allow an ice fishing season this winter is still undecided, but a decision is hoped for by the end of the month.
“This decision allows anglers and businesses to look forward to some harvest opportunity during the upcoming winter angling season that begins Dec. 1,” said Don Pereira, DNR fisheries chief in a prepared statement by the DNR. “We’ll announce a final decision about the details of the ice fishing season by the last week of October, following an Oct. 21 meeting with the Mille Lacs Fisheries Advisory Committee.”
In early August, the DNR closed the lake to walleye fishing after the state anglers exceeded the quota of 28,600 pounds.
With the closing, DNR officials announced that they have begun implementing several steps to improve the walleye population.
More information about how the DNR has implemented steps aimed at improving the Mille Lacs Lake walleye population, and improving its working relationship with the community, can be found on the Mille Lacs Lake page under the “Building A Future” tab on the Minnesota DNR website.