Shortly before 11 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 20, the Sleepy Eye Fire Department was dispatched to a barn fire at a Christensen Farms facility.
Shortly before 11 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 20, the Sleepy Eye Fire Department was dispatched to a barn fire at a Christensen Farms facility located a few miles north of Cobden. Assistant Fire Chief Ron Moldaschel said the burning barn was the second of six nursery barns that are connected by hallways. “There were no animals in the barn,” said Moldaschel. “I understand it was being cleaned at the time.”
Moldaschel said the barn was in flames when the fire department arrived. “The first thing we did was sever the hallways connecting the burning barn to those on either side. The guys cut away the hallway structures and carried the materials out,” he said. “That barn was in trouble; it was time to go on defense to save the others.”
Providing mutual aid at the scene were the Springfield, Comfrey and Morgan Fire Departments.
Val Johnson, Christensen Farms Vice President of HR and Communications, confirmed that there were no pigs in the barn and no animals were injured. “We appreciate the responsiveness and support of all the area fire departments,” she said.