St. Mary’s set the standard for themselves on Thursday, Aug. 31 against the Lyle-Pacelli Athletics.

St. Mary’s set the standard for themselves on Thursday, Aug. 31 against the Lyle-Pacelli Athletics.

St. Mary’s 44

Lyle-Pacelli 14

The Knights brought their A-game at the top of the game. Nick Labat ran 20 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter. Brandon Wait came up and ran in the two-point conversion, giving St. Mary’s a lead they held for the rest of the game.

Wait started things off in the second quarter with another touchdown after the Knights pushed their way to the end zone. The Knights made a play for the conversion but failed to cross the end zone. After a failed scoring attempt by the Athletics, the Knights retook possession of the ball. Senior quarterback Andrick Sanchez worked the line down to the end zone with his offense and ran the final 12 yards for a touchdown. Labat passed the ball to Carter Currans for the two-point conversion.

“We came out strong in the first half,” Sanchez said. “We slowed down in the second half, so we need to work on that. It was a pretty positive game for being our first game at nine-man.”

Before halftime, the Knights took possession again and showed the Athletics they were a force to be reckoned with. Labat scored one final touchdown with a seven- yard run, putting the score at 28-0.

“We started off good,” said Knights Head Coach Brent Kucera. “Second quarter we were really hitting it on all cylinders.”

In the third quarter, Wyatt Craft caught a 16-yard pass from Labat and Wait put two extra points on the board. The Athletics finally fired back with a touchdown and a two-point conversion—the game went into the fourth quarter at 36-8 Knights.

“We let off the pedals a little too much, trying to take some guys out,” Kucera said. “As a coach, I took my starters out too early. We were pretty physical and I’m happy with the overall performance. The seniors came back with a vengeance this year with really strong leadership. I’m really proud of how they are taking charge of the team.”

In the fourth quarter, the Athletics got one more touchdown before the Knights finished the game. Sanchez pushed through the line three yards from the end zone for a touchdown. Wait took off with the ball for the final two-point conversion of the game. “I just go there and play for my team,” Sanchez said. “I want to have fun with my boys.”

The Knights hit the road to take on the Cedar Mountain-Comfrey Cougars in Morgan on Friday, Sept. 8 at 7 p.m.