It was a successful three days for the New Ulm/Sleepy Eye boys hockey team at the Fergus Falls Tournament.

It was a successful three days for the New Ulm/Sleepy Eye boys hockey team at the Fergus Falls Tournament.

On Dec. 26, the Eagles claimed a 2-1 win over Fergus Falls to begin the tournament. It was a scoreless first period at the Fergus Falls Community Arena. Two power plays presented themselves in the first, but neither team was able to capitalize on the opportunity.

NUSE was the first team to score in the game, after an even-strength goal was made by junior Ethan Kraus with assists coming from juniors Colin Huffman and Jon Kopacek. The Otters responded with a goal a minute and a half later, taking advantage of a power play due to a minor tripping penalty by Alex Stark.

Despite four power plays in the third period, the only goal in the third was at even-strength. Senior Judd Davis was able to put the puck in and was assisted by junior Lucas Heiderscheidt to take the lead and the win. The Eagles out-shot Fergus Falls 47-30 on the night.

On Dec. 27, NUSE’s relentless offense continued to strike with a 6-3 win over West Fargo, N.D. Even though the Eagles doubled the Packer Bulls in goals, both teams had about equal possession throughout the game. West Fargo had eight more shots on goal, but junior Matt Berkner won the battle of the goalies, after he saved 39 of 42 shots. Meanwhile, the Bulls goalie let NUSE score three goals in the first period alone. Kopacek scored the first, with assists from Kraus and Wyatt Peterson. Kopacek struck again about a minute later, with another even-strength goal. Peterson recorded his second assist with the score. Davis claimed the third goal of the first, with the assist coming from junior Brandon Helget, and the Eagles had a 3-1 lead going into the second.

Huffman claimed the only goal in the second period to make it 4-1. The unassisted shot came at even strength, despite so many penalties. After two unsportsmanlike conducts were made by West Fargo in the first, the tension continued throughout the second. A major fighting penalty was given to a player on both sides after a fight broke out halfway through the period. A total of 11 penalties were committed in the second period alone.

Eight more penalties were made in the third period, along with four more goals. After a goal was made by West Fargo to make it 4-2, Helget responded with a goal of his own on a power play and an assist from Davis. Another goal by the Packer Bulls kept the deficit at two, but a final goal by an unassisted Huffman sealed the win.

NUSE ended the tourney with a 2-4 loss against Park Rapids on Dec. 28. The Panthers dominated on both sides of the puck, after the offense scored four goals in a row while the Eagles were held to just 26 shots in the game. NUSE finally got on the board after taking advantage of two power plays. The first was Helget from Stark, and the second came from Jared Beltz of Stark.

NUSE is now 6-4 overall, and will travel to Fairmont on Jan. 3 to take on the Cardinals.