A Ramsey County judge on Monday ordered the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis to release the names of credibly accused priests by Dec. 17. Those include 33 priests in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis and 13 in the Diocese of Winona.
District Judge John Van de North also set a January deadline for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis to release the names of any priests credibly accused since the list of 33 was compiled in January.
The disclosure follows a statement Nov. 11 by Archbishop John Nienstedt saying he would release a list of priests with "substantiated claims against them" of sexual abuse of minors.
The archdiocese sought to release just 29 names, arguing that three of the cases do not have credible evidence and one happened outside of the archdiocese. The archdiocese also said 9 of the 33 priests on its list are no longer living.
Previously the names have been under a protective order by Judge Gregg Johnson since April 2009. But Judge John Van de North said in a District Court hearing Monday that he wanted them disclosed.
However, Judge Van de North's order contains a loophole: Church officials can keep certain names secret if they provide "a detailed explanation" about why they should not be released, and if the judge agrees.
The judge said officials in both the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis and the Diocese of Winona also must disclose by Jan. 6 names and other information on priests accused since 2004, when the original list was compiled.
In addition to the names of the accused priests, Van de North ordered disclosure of their year of birth and current age; their year of ordination; whether they are alive and, if dead, year of death; the parishes where they served; their present ministerial status; and their current city and state of residence, if known.
The judge said victims' names will be kept confidential.