I haven’t always been a good water drinker.
I seem to prefer the warmth of sipping on coffee throughout the morning, or having a hot cup of tea. Milk or juice may follow throughout the day, or sometimes nothing more ~ I’m not sure how that is possible, but it has happened.
Initially it doesn’t seem like a big deal, but when I wake up the next morning feeling hazy, sleepy and achy, I know it has caught up with me.
If I fill my water thermos in the morning, I will carry it with me throughout the day, drinking happily, and even refilling it once or twice. It only takes me about 42 seconds to fill it, so I’m not sure why I ever wouldn’t. I feel lighter, fresher and more productive when I drink my water!
I will encourage you, as well as myself, by asking the question ~ Got water? I used to share a handout with students, called Water vs. Coke. Here is some of what it said.
- 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
- In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
- Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%.
- One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied (in a University of Washington study).
- Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
- Preliminary research indicates that 8 to 10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
- A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
- You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days (I’m not sure if this would really happen)
- To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the “real thing” sit for one hour, then flush clean.
- To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
- To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
- The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis. (source unknown)
Page 2 of 2 -
Every system in your body depends on water. To be your best and make the most of each day, remember to drink your water!