During Tuesday night’s Sleepy Eye City Council meeting the council voted to approve the preliminary plat and called for the first reading of the Snow Property in the northwest section of the property.
The piece of property to be platted will be from Highway 14 south to an imaginary line equivalent to where Water Street would run at the south line. From the west edge of the property it will go east to the new 12th Street South access. The property will be platted to include residential and business industrial.
With the platting the council also agreed to pursue the purchase of wetland banking for the Snow Property improvements along Sixth Ave. The approximate cost of the Wetland Banking option would be $18,538.
Also during the first regular council meeting of 2013, the council approved:
- the official city newspaper as the Sleepy Eye Herald-Dispatch
- the official city depositories as; First Security Bank, SouthPoint Federal Credit Union and Americana Community Bank.
- authorized the City Clerk and City Manager to invest city funds
- approved a one percent increase over 2012 numbers for city employees
- approved the Sleepy Eye Medical Center Board salaries for 2012
- approved permission for Sleepy Eye City Attorney to appoint counsel for conflicts
- approved the application for an exempt gambling permit for Knights of Columbus at the Eagles Orchid Inn for April 6, 2013 event
- accepted the liability coverage limits of $500,000/$1,500,000 from the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust
- will consider a first reading and reset the hearing date for Lot 2 Block 1, Parkview Addition from Multi-family to Business-Industrial on Thursday, Jan. 24 at 12 noon
- approved a subsidy to the Sleepy Eye Historical Society of $3,000 for 2013
- approved the purchase of a 2013 Ford F350 for the Sleepy Eye sanitation department through the state bid with Chuck Spaeth Ford at a cost of $25,463.38
- received the council committee assignments from Mayor Broich as such until the next election; Road and Bridge, Councilors, Zinniel, Stevermer and Schieffert; Finance, Stevermer, Schmidt and Zinniel; Liquor, Schieffert, Beech and Schmidt; Sanitation, Beech, Stevermer and Zinniel; Building, Schmidt, Beech and Schieffert. Council liaison officers to the following boards are: Park Board, Joann Schmidt; Sleepy Eye Medical Center board, Nathan Stevermer; PUC, Richard Zinniel; Airport board, Nathan Stevermer; Library board, Judy Beech; Planning and Zoning board, Joe Schieffert; EDA, Joann Schmidt; and Advisory to CATV, Judy Beech.