The Sleepy Eye Area Chamber of Commerce is a voluntary membership organization which invests time and revenue to carry forward programs affecting our community’s growth and development relevant to member needs. Our membership consists of individuals, retired business people, one person to 600 people businesses, organizations, seasonal and nearby community businesses. We are not part of, nor are we affiliated with any local, state or federal government entities, although we do work closely with the City of Sleepy Eye and the Sleepy Eye EDA to accomplish our mission of “striving to preserve, promote and encourage participation in business, education and community growth and development.”
The Chamber offers many services and programs, which in turn benefit every business and professional person in the area and we strongly urge our members to take advantage of the features that are offered to them. The Chamber provides many opportunities for you to have a vital role and be involved in the quality and growth of the community.
1) Visibility - The Chamber of Commerce provides a yearly window sticker to proclaim you are a current Chamber member. Studies have proven that consumers are more likely to buy from trusted companies with solid reputations. When consumers know that a business is a member of a Chamber of Commerce, they are more likely to think favorably of it and more likely to purchase goods or services from the company in the future. Plus, being active in a local Chamber of Commerce is an effective business strategy. We also provide posters for promotions and events and the Sleepy Eye Chamber Ambassadors are camera ready to assist in announcing your new business, anniversary, renovation, milestone or celebration.
2) Networking - The Chamber of Commerce offers opportunities to be involved with committees which are responsible for local events and Chamber functions; business after hours or open houses where members can learn what’s new at your business; volunteering at the Party in the Park, Golf Tournament, Corn Days, Safety Day Camp, Miss Sleepy Eye Committee and more. The Chamber also recognizes a local business as “Business of the Year” in the spring and recognizes the “Manufacturer/Technology” business every fall. The Business to Business Education and Networking sessions began this year with 10 businesses sharing information about their business with other Chamber members – a perfect opportunity to get to know fellow Chamber members, what each business sells, offers or services and what happenings or milestones may be taking place.
3) Information and Advocacy - The Chamber of Commerce receives information from the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce, the Minnesota Retail Association, the Southern Minnesota Tourism Association, other Chambers in the area and our members. We feel it is important for you to be “in the know” of the many topics, issues and concerns that affect our community and members. While there will always be controversial issues in every community, we leave it up to you to make decisions about any material presented. There may be times the Chamber will put a disclaimer on information presented from other sources if the Board of Directors has not had a chance to thoroughly review or discuss the topic. The Chamber would like the business community’s best interest to be represented and that playing an active advocacy role will be a benefit for all members.
Page 2 of 2 -
4) News and Marketing - The Chamber of Commerce provides the “Thursday Tidbits” a weekly brief of information on the latest happenings within the community. Meetings, events, promotions, celebrations, announcements, new business hours and more can be relayed to approximately 2,000 people. We ask that all business owners pass the Thursday Tidbits and monthly newsletter to all their staff so that all can be informed and involved in the events and programs of their choosing. The Chamber website lists the Chamber businesses, links to members’ websites, pictures of recent events and promotions, the history of Sleepy Eye and much more; and keeping up with technology, the Chamber is now on Facebook. The monthly newsletter is packed full of information and also provides opportunities for businesses to insert a flyer, ad, or service announcement for a small fee. Sleepy Eye has been promoted in the forms of billboards, magazines, visitor guides and tourism publications and upcoming a cookbook.
5) Resource Center - The Chamber of Commerce members are always the first to be recommended when a call comes in. Chamber certificates are available in any dollar amount and are redeemable at Chamber member businesses only. The Chamber has many brochures on vacation spots, maps, Sleepy Eye memorabilia, souvenirs, the annual Christmas ornament, newspapers on ag business, antiquing, local magazines and business information.
These are just a few features that are available to Chamber members. Our strength lies in our Chamber members. The ideas, energy and investment provided to us by our members, gives us a way to provide services to all our members in helping their businesses and our community grow in history, traditions, faith and pride.
A membership drive will be taking place soon and we encourage those who are not Chamber members to give our board of directors a call so we can visit with you about the benefits of joining the Chamber.
It is your support that makes our organization.