Last year at this time, our area fire departments had been kept busy putting out several rural fires. The lack of rain and the wind were their enemies during a stretch of a few weeks.
One fire in particular I remember was the field just to the east of the Hormel plant north of town.
The wind was blowing terribly and the extreme dry ground was like kindling. This particular fire, the New Ulm fire department was called in for assistance. Blowing from the south, the wind pushed the smoke and flames toward the gravel and a standing field of corn across the road. If it had reached the field, the outcome wouldn’t have been a positive one and someone could have lost everything.
Next week is fire prevention week... do you have an escape plan should a fire break out in your home? Would you know what to do if a grease fire started on your stove? I certainly hope your answer is NOT, put water on it! WRONG! Adding water to a grease fire is just like adding gasoline to an open flame. Calmly and quickly slide a metal lid across the pan to cover the flames. Do NOT attempt to carry the pan outside which can cause the burning grease to spill and spread the fire. The best fire prevention in the kitchen is to stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.
Kids are taught to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothing catches on fire. Adults should remember those simple words as well.
While September was I believe the third dryest on record, Brown County is once again in a RED FLAG warning along with West Central and Southwestern Minnesota, meaning the conditions of high winds and low relative humidity are prime for fires. These dangerous elements along with warm temperature will create explosive fire growth potential.
Be safe, be cautions but most importantly, do NOT be careless. Open fires or throwing a lit cigarette out a car window could set the tiniest elements a fire.
Thought for the week: Traditional thinkers say, “If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.” But breakthrough thinkers say, “Fix it before it breaks.” – Gerald Nadler.