The Highway 14 detour in North Mankato will be removed Oct. 2 and two lane, two-way traffic placed on the new alignment until the second phase of construction is complete in the fall of 2013, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The 2012 construction project included:
- Construct embankment for bridge and ramps at County Road 41 interchange
- Construct ditches, ponds, drainage structures
- Grade westbound Highway 14
- Grade and pave eastbound Highway 14 lanes
- Grade, pave and complete the roundabout at County Road 6, Pleasant View Drive and Country Road 41
Motorists will be able to use three of the four legs of the new roundabout, which will be part of County Road 41 leading to the new interchange with Highway 14 in 2013. The project includes a total of three roundabouts. Driving tips and more information on roundabouts can be found at www.dot.state.mn.us/roundabouts/ .
Work scheduled for 2013 includes:
- Pave westbound Hwy 14
- Permanent signing/striping on Hwy 14
- Construct County Road 41 bridge
- Pave County Road 41 interchange ramps and loop
- Construct roundabouts at ramp terminals
- Pave County Road 41 connections to north and south
- Final turf establishment
Mathiowetz Construction of Sleepy Eye was the prime contractor for the first project. Maps and more information about the bids for 2013 construction can be found at www.dot.state.mn.us/d7/projects/14northmankato/ .